I am pleased to report that Mayo Clinic reached a record 63 million people in 2013. Our strong performance was bolstered by successful implementation of new care delivery models — such as the Mayo Clinic Care Network — that provide knowledge to patients, physicians and consumers in traditional and new ways.
Expanding our reach is not a new goal for us. In fact, as we consider our history, growth has been a constant for 150 years.
In 1983, Mayo treated 200,000 unique patients a year. In 2011, Mayo reached just over 20 million people a year and only two years later, in 2013, Mayo Clinic reached 63 million people. The numbers reflect:
- 1.2 million unique patients who come to Mayo Clinic from every state and 135 countries
- 4.1 million unique diagnostic tests through Mayo Medical Laboratories (MML) in more than 130 countries
- 7 million patients through Mayo Clinic Care Network
- 7.4 million people through Mayo’s social media channels
- 43.5 million people through products and services from Mayo’s Global Business Solutions (including online sources)
The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a centerpiece of Mayo Clinic’s evolved health care delivery model. The network, launched in September 2011, now includes 26 members. The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a network of like-minded organizations which share a common commitment to improving the delivery of health care in their communities through high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care. The network recognizes that people prefer to get their health care close to home.
The main goal of the network is to help people gain the benefits of Mayo Clinic expertise without having to travel to a Mayo Clinic facility. Altru Health System, Grand Forks, ND was the first to join Mayo Clinic Care Network on September 14, 2011. WellStar Health System in Atlanta is the newest member. WellStar serves a population of more than 1.4 million residents in five counties and is the largest not-for-profit health system in Georgia with 13,000 employees.
Editor's note:John Noseworthy, M.D. is the CEO and president of Mayo Clinic.